Expatriate Tax Return

When you leave the UK do you understand your tax obligations?

Many individuals leaving the UK do not have complicated tax affairs as they have paid tax under PAYE and believe their tax affairs to be in order. However, upon leaving the UK your affairs may be more complex than normal and can result in either of the following:

  • A refund of tax for the year of departure
  • A requirement to file an annual self assessment tax return

A refund of tax for the year of departure
In many cases individuals paying tax under the PAYE scheme will not have received their full entitlement of tax allowances if they leave the UK part way through a tax year. In order to determine if a refund of tax is due you will need to complete a form P85 and provide your form P45 (Leaving employment form).

A requirement to file an annual self assessment tax return
The most common reasons for non UK based residents needing to complete a
self assessment tax return are continued receipt of UK Income or Capital Gains arising from disposal of UK assets: Examples of Income are:

  • Property  
  • UK government pensions*
  • Savings & Investment

Property Income

  • Rents received from a lodger in your previous home
  • Rents from a second property.
  • Rents from land

Pension income

  • State Pension*
  • Government Superannuation Pensions*

Savings & Investment Income

  • Interest on bank and building society accounts – (Please note: Individual Savings Accounts (ISAs) and Personal Equity Plans (PEPs) are not allowed for non-resident individuals.)
  • Interest on National Savings and Investments accounts and bonds.
  • Dividends on company shares - not including dividend income from ISAs and PEPs.

Capital Gains
If you have Capital Gains Tax to pay, for example you've sold, given away or otherwise disposed of an asset such as a property or shares, you'll need to complete a self assessment tax return including the Capital Gains Tax pages.

At TWD Tax Services Ltd we provide a self assessment tax return service at an fixed fee of £149.50. Our fees are fixed with no hidden extras and 100% of any refund obtained for the year of departure is paid over to you.

*Taxation of UK Government pensions will depend upon the UK double taxation agreement with the country of residence.


For more information speak to our TWD Tax Services team on 0800 093 9433 or 0161 358 1260.


Keep up to date with tax news that affects you.

Sign Up

Contact Us

Good communication between clients and ourselves is vital.

Contact Us

We work with

subscribe to our newsletter